title
Wednesday, March 01, 2006
 
I have been reading: 'But Is It Art - The Spirit of Art as Activism' by Nina Felshin. It's an interesting book, there is a sense that to make art with a social or political context or motive you need to be interested in collaboration, community projects and site-specific art. This seems to me to be the most obvious conclusion to make when dealing with politics and art. Basically these artists act as campaigners, but call it art. They are campaigners, which is fine, using visuals, which is fine, but want to elevate themselves to the status of artists - for what reason?

I am political in the sense that I exist in a society, I make artwork, therefore my work is political. If I discover my politics through my art, then so be. However, if I was to choose my politics and then make art to reflect this, I am a campaigner making visuals.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom
ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / May 2006 / November 2006 /


Powered by Blogger