title
Sunday, March 12, 2006
 
Pablo Picasso - 'Why I joined the Communist Party'

'My membership of the communist party is the logical consequence of my whole life, of my whole work. For, I am proud to say, I have never considered painting as an art of simple amusement, of recreation; I have wished, by drawing and by colour, since those are my weapons, to reach ever further into an understanding of the world and of men, in order that this understanding might bring us each day an increase in liberation.'

I would tend to agree with him. Although, it is specifically when the artist becomes officially aligned with a political entity that it becomes a problem and freedom of expression is compromised. However, I don;t see it as a problem if a political entity wants to use you're work for its gain. To say that this is not possible is to say that neither the artist nor the artwork exists in the world.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom
ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / May 2006 / November 2006 /


Powered by Blogger